Board Nomination Petitions
Pedernales Electric is guided by the unique principles of the cooperative business model, including democratic member control. Our Board of Directors, made up of democratically elected PEC members, provides leadership and oversight on behalf of the entire membership.
Each year, eligible members can seek nomination for director positions up for election through the petition process established by PEC's Bylaws. While the deadline to file a petition to be a director candidate in the 2013 election has passed, below is the current process by which members can seek Board nomination by petition next year.
Members seek nomination for a Board position by:
- Reviewing Article III of the PEC Bylaws, Board district maps, and PEC's Election Policy and Procedures and Conflict-of-Interest Policy to check your eligibility and for other necessary information.
- Downloading petition materials from the PEC website or getting them printed at a local PEC office.
- Completing all of the petition forms, including a Candidate Application and Consumer Report Disclosure & Consent Form.
- Typing biographical information according to the guidelines in the Election Procedures. (Biographical information guidelines typically also is outlined in the petition materials.)
- Using the signature forms provided in the petition materials to get verifiable signatures from at least 100 members living in (or having designated voting residences in) the PEC director district for which election is sought. A list of members in each district is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-868-4791, Ext. 5163. Members seeking nomination are encouraged to collect more than 100 signatures to account for any possible verification issues.
- Mailing or hand-delivering all original, completed petition forms, including the Candidate Application, Consumer Report Disclosure & Consent Form, and Required Signatures, so that they are received by the Secretary of the Board at PEC’s Johnson City headquarters no later than 5:00 p.m. on the last business day falling 75 days or more before the date of the PEC Annual Membership Meeting. Biographical materials have to be emailed by 5:00 p.m. on the same date to email@example.com.
- If the member's signatures and eligibility are verified, they are placed on the ballot and contacted regarding a candidate orientation meeting. Directors are then elected by PEC members, with voting ending at the PEC Annual Membership Meeting in June.
- Director positions in Board District 2 and District 3 will be up for election in 2014.
- Candidates are responsible for their own campaigns.
- Currently, directors may serve up to four consecutive three-year terms.
- Directors are currently compensated for their service. Please review our Director Compensation Policy for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
For questions about Board nomination petitions, download our list of frequently asked questions or email firstname.lastname@example.org.