Voting & Elections
One distinction of the cooperative difference is that PEC is democratically controlled by its members. We embrace democracy through our annual Board of Directors election, in which PEC members elect other members to serve as directors, and in some years, in which members vote on proposed Co-op initiatives. Director candidates are nominated by members through a petition process.
On the 2016 ballot
Early Voting Now Open
Ballots for the 2016 election were mailed to all PEC members May 19 by Survey & Ballot Systems (SBS), an independent election services company PEC has contracted with to manage balloting. Through June 10, members will be able to vote by mail or online.
Voting is quick and easy
- Vote online
Vote at www.directvote.net/pec. You'll need the ID and password printed on the ballot mailed to you, or check your email if your email address is registered with PEC. You also can bring your ballot into PEC offices and vote online using a publicly available Internet-connected device.
- Vote by mail
Complete the ballot that was mailed to you and mail it in the included prepaid envelope, making sure it's postmarked by Friday, June 10.
- Vote in person
Vote at the PEC Annual Meeting Saturday, June 18, in Dripping Springs.
Didn't receive your ballot?
For replacement ballots please contact SBS directly:
New this year!
Vote early and be entered in a random drawing to win one of these prizes*:
- A home theater package
- 1 of 10 Nest Learning Thermostats
- 1 of 10 $100 gift cards
* PEC directors, director candidates, employees, and their spouses and dependents are not eligible. All door prizes are subject to terms and conditions as disclosed at the time of the award.
PEC members are voting this year to elect Board directors to serve a three-year term, 2016-2019, from Board District 4 and District 5. Members from all seven Board districts may vote in the election for all director positions. Explore the links above to learn more about the candidates.
Candidate Forum Video
Click the links below to watch video recorded during a candidate forum held April 21 at PEC headquarters in Johnson City.
Watch Candidate Forum Video » | Watch Question & Answer Session Video »
Also on the ballot this year is an amendment to the Co-op's Articles of Incorporation, which would, if approved by voters, guarantee that members of the Cooperative have the right to speak at every meeting of the PEC Board of Directors. Members will be asked to vote "For" or "Against" the following question:
Section 5. Right to Speak. A Member has the right to speak at every regular, special or called meeting of the Board of Directors and its committees, except for executive sessions, on any PEC matter at a time designated by the Board.
PEC Power of Change
Members will have an opportunity to sign up to participate in the Co-op's bill round up program, PEC Power of Change. Members who opt in to the PEC Power of Change program by checking the designated box on their ballot will have their electric bills rounded up to the nearest dollar, and the combined funds will be awarded annually as grants to PEC-area non-profit organizations eligible through a new competitive application process.
Members who participate can expect to contribute an average of 49 cents per month, but together, our change can change lives!
2016 PEC Election Timeline
- April 12 — Qualifications and Elections Committee meets at noon at PEC headquarters in Johnson City to verify candidates' qualifications
- April 18 — Board director candidates officially announced
- April 21 — Candidate forum at PEC headquarters in Johnson City
- May 19 — Members receive ballots, candidate biographies and notice of annual meeting; online voting begins
- June 10 — Online and mail-in voting ends
- June 18 — PEC Annual Meeting at Dripping Springs High School; in-person voting and election results announcement
Member list opt-out
In January, PEC’s Board of Directors approved changes to the Co-op’s election procedures allowing qualified Board candidates to have access to a list containing the names and addresses of members who voted in any or each election up to three years preceding the upcoming election. The list does not indicate how the member voted, simply whether they participated.
PEC members may contact the Co-op to ask that their information not be shared with Board candidates. To submit an opt-out request, members may:
- Log in to pec.smarthub.coop or the mobile app and select “Member List Opt-out” on the Contact Us screen. Please include a note in the Comments field indicating your choice to opt out.
- Call PEC at 1-888-554-4732, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., and speak with a Member Services agent.
- Visit any PEC office during office hours and ask to
Although members may submit an opt-out request any time, in order to have your name and information excluded from the list distributed prior to the 2016 election the request must have been received by April 11.