Interested in serving your district as a PEC Board Director? Find the information you need below.
The following is a basic outline of the nomination-by-petition process:
- Review Article III of the PEC Bylaws, as well as the board district maps, Election Policy and Procedures, Conflict-of-Interest Policy and Directors’ Code of Conduct to check eligibility and find other important information. Curious about your eligibility to run for our board? Nominees must maintain their primary residence and receive continuous electric service for one year in the PEC district for which election is sought. Additionally, nominees must be located at the beginning of the calendar year of the election in the district for which election is sought. See Article III, Section 3, of the PEC Bylaws for detailed eligibility and residency information.
- Download petition materials and email [email protected] to schedule an appointment to deliver completed materials in-person to PEC headquarters. All completed materials must be received no later than March 22 at 5 p.m.
- Complete the petition forms, including a Candidate Application, Consumer Report Disclosure and Consent Form, Directors’ Code of Conduct Affirmation and Conflict-of-Interest Certification and Disclosure Form.
- Provide biographical information and candidate questionnaire according to the guidelines in the Election Procedures and petition materials.
- Use the signature form (print as many as needed) provided in the petition materials to obtain verifiable signatures from at least 50 members living in, or having designated voting residences in, the PEC district for which election is sought. Lists of members for all districts are available by request at [email protected]. For more detailed instructions, please email the Governance Team at [email protected]. Members seeking nomination are encouraged to collect more than 50 signatures to account for possible verification issues.
- Hand-deliver all original, completed petition forms, including the Candidate Application, Consumer Report Disclosure & Consent Form, Directors’ Code of Conduct Affirmation, Conflict-of-Interest Certification and Disclosure Form and required signatures, so they are received by the Governance Team at PEC headquarters in Johnson City by the specified deadline, which is updated each year.
Biographical materials and the completed candidate questionnaire must be emailed by 5 p.m. on the same date to [email protected]. All forms and requirements must be completed for PEC and the Qualifications and Elections Committee to verify nominees’ eligibility.
- Once signatures and eligibility are verified, the member’s candidate material will be reviewed by the Qualifications and Election Committee. The Qualifications and Election Committee will recommend a slate of candidates to the board for approval of placement on the ballot. Candidates are contacted for participation in a candidate orientation meeting and video opportunity. PEC Board Directors are elected by PEC members, with voting results announced at the PEC Annual Meeting.
- Candidates are responsible for their own campaigns.
- PEC Board Directors may serve up to four consecutive three-year terms.
- PEC Board Directors are compensated for their service. Please review our Director Compensation Policy for more information.
- Find additional information in the nomination FAQs.
Qualifications & Elections Committee
The Qualifications and Elections Committee was established for the purpose of having an independent, member-led group determine whether potential candidates satisfy the requirements to serve on the PEC Board of Directors, rather than having PEC management and PEC Board Directors verify nominees’ qualifications.
The three- to seven-member committee reviews the qualifications of members who submit nomination petitions to become director candidates, and then certifies candidates satisfy all requirements.
Members are invited to attend a committee meeting and comment about candidates’ qualifications. The committee is appointed by the board each February and dissolved after the PEC Annual Meeting. Complete committee details are outlined in the PEC Bylaws and the PEC Election Policy and Procedures.