Concern for community is deeply rooted in the heart of all cooperatives, but especially in the hearts of PEC employees. This year, our staff gave $145,118 to 246 local organizations through PEC United Charities. The cooperative contributed another $100,000 for a total of $245,118. Recipients included arts organizations, hospitals, volunteer fire departments, animal shelters and more.
PEC United Charities is a corporation owned and operated by the employees of PEC for the purpose of helping charitable organizations in our community. Each participating employee gives 70 percent of their first hour of pay each month through automatic payroll deductions. At year’s end, the total amount is divvied up equally among all employees, who can select recipient charities of their choice.
This year, the ten charities receiving the highest donations are:
- Make A Wish Foundation of Central Texas, Inc. (Austin): $11,915
- Fallen Lineman Organization (Madisonville): $6,599
- Shriners Hospitals for Children (Austin): $5,776
- Cooper DeSpain Memorial Scholarship Fund (Marble Falls): $5,265
- Kimble County Meals on Wheels (Junction): $4,522
- St. Jude’s Ranch for Children (New Braunfels): $4,520
- Johnson City VFD (Johnson City): $4,324
- Texas Children’s Hospital (Houston): $4,293
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children (Dallas): $3,712
- Kimble Rural Fire Department (Junction): $3,609