Electrical malfunctions are the cause of more than 7% of all residential fires, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. While the percentage is low, we want all members to be prepared and safe in the event of a fire.
PEC’s Safety Department recommends these helpful tips to prevent fires and stay safe.
- Keep flammable items away from sources of heat like your stove or oven.
- Unplug electronics when you’re finished using them. This includes things like irons, hair-styling tools, coffee pots, and more.
- Check smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers to ensure they’re in good working condition.
- Plan and practice your escape. Know escape routes if a fire should break out, and be sure everyone understands how to escape safely.
- Designate a spot to meet after escaping should a fire occur.
If a fire does occur, act.
- Get out and don’t attempt to reenter the building or home.
- If you are surrounded by smoke, drop low to the ground, and go under the smoke to make your way out.
- Call the fire department once you have safely escaped the fire.
More safety tips at pec.coop/safety.