Before departing on your Labor Day weekend getaway, use these tips to keep your home safe and energy efficient. Completing this list can help you come home to a lower electric bill.
- Unplug nonessential appliances and electronics. This will help prevent wasted energy from electronics being plugged in. This includes microwaves and TVs, however keep essential items like refrigerators plugged in.
- Test your smoke detectors to make sure they’re working properly. While you’re at it, check your home before you leave to make sure you turned all electrical items off, especially those that require heat like irons, hair styling tools, and your coffee maker.
- Let your water heater take a vacation too. Switch it to “vacation mode” or turn it off. Turn off water valves to your dishwasher, sink, and washing machine.
- Lower your window shades to prevent the sun from heating up your home. Shades will help cool your home slightly, especially on hot summer afternoons.
- Turn off lights or use a light timer for home security. Use CFL bulbs to help save energy.
- Set your programmable thermostat to a higher temperature. This will ensure your air isn’t blowing cold air at full speed while you’re gone.