Avoid holiday decorating hazards
Tips for creating a safe holiday lights display
Adding decorations in and around your home can be a fun and festive way to get into the holiday spirit, but stringing lights and climbing ladders can be dangerous if you’re not careful.
Always keep safety in mind when you’re decorating. Remember these tips to stay safe:
- Always place ladders on a dry, flat surface.
- Before setting up your ladder, check for hazards above, including power lines.
- If you have a Christmas tree, keep it away from any heat sources, and only use lights and cords that are in good condition.
- If you have pets or small children, keep lights and ornaments out of their reach.
- Never nail or staple holiday lights. Use hooks instead.
- Only use lights that have been tested for safety. Check the light packaging for details.
- Turn your lights off before going to bed.
- Avoid overloading extension cords and outlets.
See more safety tips at pec.coop/safety.