When temperatures cool down, instead of reaching for the thermostat, reach for an electric blanket. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, electric blankets can be even more cost-effective than space heaters.
Below is a breakdown of the average cost PEC members pay to use an electric blanket compared to a space heater for 50 days during the year.
Remember to practice safety with electric blankets:
- Make sure blankets have been tested and approved.
- Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Check cords to make sure they are intact and not frayed or damaged.
- Don’t buy or use secondhand blankets.
- Turn off the blanket when you leave the room.
If using an electric blanket isn’t logical, remember, a space heater can still be beneficial instead of raising the thermostat. Learn more about when and how to use a space heater.