Home energy audits have become increasingly popular among PEC members looking for ways to save energy and money. Normally, this process involves one of our energy advisors visiting your home and walking through it to discuss upgrades, customized recommendations, and other energy-saving tips. However, in the midst of health and safety concerns, our experts have recently taken their skills to the phonelines, completing nearly 150 home energy audits for members since March 1.
“I’m really proud of our team for finding this creative solution to keep our energy audits rolling amid COVID-19 when families are looking for savings more than ever before,” PEC Energy Management Supervisor Silvia Perez said. “It feels good to know we can continue this important service without compromising safety.”
PEC energy advisors provide members useful conservation tips to help reduce overall energy costs and encourage them to be proactive in monitoring their energy habits.
“The team’s combined years of energy management experience and constant review of industry and governmental standards enhances our ability to respond to member inquiries with confidence,” Perez said.
Before scheduling your home energy audit, start by reviewing these five tips that our experts say are among their top recommendations:
- Your HVAC makes up more than half of your utility bill! Make sure to have your system maintained twice a year by a licensed HVAC technician.
- Keep sufficient air flow around exterior HVAC units. This means you must keep debris and grass from prohibiting proper air flow around the compressor. If you see dirt or dust around the vents in your home, that’s often a sign of loose ductwork and energy loss.
- Keep your thermostat at 78 degrees in summer months and monitor this setting throughout the day — especially if there are multiple people living in the home.
- Heat gain is another major factor in managing your indoor temperature. Turn off lights, avoid using your stove or oven, and keep your blinds and curtains closed during the hottest parts of the day.
- Manage your daily and hourly energy use with SmartHub.
If you’d like to set up a home energy audit, it’s easy — simply call us at 888-554-4732, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.; or request one through the SmartHub app. Reach out today so we can help you save tomorrow!