It’s the most wonderful time of the year to make your home sparkle with holiday cheer! But before you get started putting up your favorite festive decor, remember to keep electrical safety in mind. As you decorate, keep the tips below handy and follow them to stay safe.
- Always place ladders on a dry, flat surface.
- Before setting up your ladder, check for hazards above, including power lines.
- If you have a Christmas tree, keep it away from any heat sources. Get rid of any cords or lights that are damaged, defective, or frayed.
- If you have pets or small children, keep lights and ornaments far out of their reach.
- Never use nails or staples to hang holiday lights. Always use plastic light hooks instead.
- Read the packaging on your holiday lights to make sure they’ve been tested for safety.
- Turn off your lights display before going to bed.
- Never put cords underneath rugs.
- For outdoor lights, make sure the lights and any cords are designed for outdoor use, and only use GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets.
- Finally, whether you’re hanging lights inside or outdoors, never overload extension cords or outlets.
See more safety tips at pec.coop/safety.