As a growing number of Texans resume traveling this summer, Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) is asking its members to add conservation to their vacation packing list. Before leaving home, the cooperative recommends following these tips to keep homes safe and energy efficient. Doing so, can help you come home to a lower electric bill and protect the Texas electric grid.
- Unplug nonessential appliances and electronics to prevent wasted energy use from electronics being plugged in. This includes microwaves and TVs; however, keep essential items like refrigerators plugged in.
- Double check electronics that produce heat like irons, hair styling tools, and your coffee maker. While you’re at it, test your smoke detectors to make sure they’re working properly.
- Let your water heater take a vacation too. Switch it to “vacation mode” or turn it off. You may also want to turn off water valves to your dishwasher, sink, and washing machine.
- Lower your window shades to prevent the sun from heating up your home. Shades will help cool your home slightly, especially on hot summer afternoons.
- Turn off lights or use a light timer for home security.
- Set your programmable thermostat to a higher temperature. This will keep your air conditioner from blowing cold air at full speed while you’re gone.
More tips at pec.coop/savings.