In an incredible show of support for our communities, PEC and employees donated more than $235,000 through its United Charities program to 242 charitable organizations. This year, staff raised $181,895 and the cooperative contributed another $50,000. With the addition of leftover funds from previous years, donations totaled $236,205. Most of the charities selected are located across Central Texas and include medical organizations, scholarship funds, programs for veterans, volunteer fire departments, and more.
“PEC has a culture of giving that starts at the top and really thrives among our employees,” said Caroline Tinsley Porter, PEC’s community relations coordinator. “With United Charities, employees drive the donations and decide where the money goes, so it’s really a reflection of our collective values.”
PEC United Charities is a corporation owned and operated by the employees of PEC to help charitable organizations in our community. Each participating employee donates 70% of their first hour of pay each month through automatic payroll deductions. At the end of the year, the total amount is spread out equally among all employees who then choose the charities they’d like to support.
The top ten recipients for 2022 were:
- Jude’s Ranch for Children
- Make A Wish Foundation of Central Texas, Inc.
- Cooper DeSpain Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o The Highland Lakes Legacy Fund
- Hays County Food Bank, Inc.
- Dell Children’s Foundation, Children’s Medical Center Foundation of Central Texas
- Autism Society of Texas
- Shriners Hospitals for Children, c/o Ben Hur Shriners
- Johnson City VFD
- Canyon Lake Animal Shelter Society (CLASS)