For more than 60 years, Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) has proudly participated in the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association’s Youth Tour program. PEC will select 10 high school delegates to join 1,500 students from electric cooperatives across the country this summer on an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. Students selected for Youth Tour will visit historical sites, meet their representatives, and create lifelong friendships.
“PEC’s commitment to education and opportunity for Central Texas youth is at the core of who we are as a cooperative,” said Celeste Mikeska, PEC senior community outreach specialist. “We’re thrilled to offer Youth Tour for the first time since the pandemic and encourage every eligible high school student to apply for this one-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”
The deadline to apply is January 17, 2023. Those selected will attend the Youth Tour trip June 11-19, 2023.
PEC delegates will have the opportunity to:
- Tour historical sites, including Arlington National Cemetery, Capitol Hill, the Lincoln Memorial, Mount Vernon, the Smithsonian Institution, the U.S. Supreme Court, the Washington National Cathedral, and more.
- Meet local political representatives and learn more about local and national government.
- Create lifelong friendships with students from all around the country.
To become a PEC delegate, students must:
- Have completed their high school sophomore, junior, or senior year by June 2023.
- Have a parent or legal guardian who is a PEC member in good standing.
- Be available to attend the trip June 11-19.
- Submit a 500-word essay and apply online by Tuesday, January 17, at 11:59 p.m.
Students are invited to learn more and apply at pec.coop/youth-tour.