PEC moves to modernize member services — online, by phone, and electronically
Member front-office access changes coming November 1
More than 80 years ago, Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) helped electrify the Texas Hill Country. Since then, the cooperative’s mission has been to provide safe, low-cost, reliable electric service, and an exceptional member experience. As the co-op’s membership has grown and evolved, PEC is moving to modernize its services and meet members where they are — online, over the phone, and electronically.
To enhance these digital services and better serve our membership, beginning November 1, PEC is limiting member office visits to those with appointments only. Lobby agents will remain on staff and will be assigned to positions where their skills can most effectively continue to serve our members.
“Upon reopening our offices after the pandemic, we saw a significant drop in foot traffic,” said Eddie Dauterive, PEC chief operations officer. “Surveys and recent data show the vast majority of our members now use and prefer digital payment methods, so we have a responsibility to put our resources where they’re needed most and to be fiscally responsible on behalf of all members.”
PEC will continue to provide the same exceptional service and members can still choose from a variety of secure and convenient payment options.
- Pay by phone anytime: Call 844-886-9798. A $5 minimum payment is required.
- Pay online with SmartHub: Log in at pec.smarthub.coop or download the SmartHub app.
- Pay online without logging in: Visit pec.smarthub.coop/PayNow.
- Pay by mail: Send payments to PEC, P.O. Box 1, Johnson City, TX 78636.
- Use our payment kiosks: Make quick, instant payments 24/7 by cash, e-check, or credit card at any of our offices.
- Pay by Western Union: Make a payment at a participating location, including H-E-B and Dollar General, for a $1.50 fee. Find a Western Union near you at pec.coop/billing.
- Pay by MoneyGram: Make a payment at local businesses, including Walmart and CVS, for a $1.50 fee. Find a MoneyGram near you at pec.coop/billing.
- Sign up for automatic payments: Set up automatic payments using a credit card or bank draft by calling 844-886-9798, logging into pec.smarthub.coop, or using the SmartHub app.
“We realize this is a big change for some of our members who have gotten to know our lobby agents over the years,” Dauterive said. “But we look forward to continuing the high quality, personalized service our PEC members have come to know and expect.”
Members may continue to make payments at office kiosks and PEC agents are available to answer questions Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. In-person appointments may be scheduled by members and those with development and planning needs by calling 888-554-4732. For more information, including a list of ways to pay, please visit pec.coop/billing.