Be prepared for severe weather
PEC's tips and tools for outages
A primary part of our job is to keep the lights on for PEC members, but in the presence of severe weather, power outages are a higher possibility. As thunderstorms become more common in spring, we’re providing you with some necessary tips to prepare.
Report outages immediately
Please do not assume another member has reported outages in your area. To get your power restored as quickly as possible, report your outage to us with the SmartHub app, at pec.smarthub.coop, or by calling 888-883-3379. If your mobile phone number is listed on SmartHub, you can report an outage by texting “outage” to 25022. Please text the word “outage” to this number when you have an outage to report. Message and data rates may apply.
Before calling, be sure to have this information ready:
- Name, address, and account number
- Estimated time of interruption
- Do your neighbors have power?
- Have you seen downed lines, heard loud sounds, or do you have any other details about your outage?
Sign up for PEC text alerts
We offer a text alert service for PEC members. Sign up to receive messages from PEC during emergencies. Message and data rates may apply. Add your mobile number or confirm the number we have on file by visiting PEC’s SmartHub or by calling us at 888-554-4732. Learn how to update your information.
Visit PEC’s Outage Center
Our online outage center contains important information you need for an outage. View the webpage on your smartphone, tablet, or computer at pec.coop/outages. Once there, you’ll be able to:
- Access PEC’s outage map.
- Report your outage.
- Find your outage status and see the number of meters affected in your area.
- Receive an estimated restoration time, if available.
- Learn how PEC restores power during an outage.
- Get safety information, find our food safety guide, and learn how to build a home emergency kit.
- Read PEC news stories for important topics like protecting your electronics and building a home emergency kit, frequently asked questions about outages, and more.
If you don’t see an estimated restoration time, it could be that service crews are unable to provide estimates or updates. As a result, restoration information may not be immediately available.
Download PEC’s Smarthub app
When a storm hits, you’ll have quick access to report and track outages 24/7, wherever you go. Download the app on your mobile device through the App Store or Google Play.
If you have damage on your property or are in a prolonged outage, follow these tips:
- Never run a generator indoors or closer than 20 feet from doors and windows to prevent fumes from entering the home.
- If you see a downed line, move away from the line and anything touching it.
- Call 911 immediately to report a downed line or our emergency reporting line at 888-883-3379.
- Call 911 during an emergency.
- If your home is struck by lightning, get yourself and anyone in your home out immediately.
- Call your insurance company if you sustain any severe weather damage. Most insurance policies cover weather-related damages, and they’ll help you determine if a claim is needed.
Prepare an outage bag
Be ready to weather the storm by packing these items in a home emergency kit:
- A flashlight
- One gallon of water per person
- A hand-crank radio
- A tool box
- First-aid supplies
- Nonperishable food items
- A manual can opener
- Medications (over-the-counter and prescription)
- Pet supplies
- Multipurpose tool
- Air-activated heat packs
- Hand sanitizer
Stay safe indoors with these tips
- Avoid using landlines and plugged-in electronics. Cell phones are safe to use as long as they are not plugged into an outlet.
- Don’t shower or bathe.
- Keep clear of windows and doors, and stay off porches.
- Wait until 30 minutes have passed since you’ve heard thunder to use any plumbing or electronics.
If you have reported your outage, rest assured that PEC is aware of it and crews are working to restore your power. If the storm causes damage to PEC’s infrastructure, there could be prolonged outages.
Get more safety tips at pec.coop/safety.