When that Texas heat starts creeping in, most of us immediately have the urge to crank that thermostat down. But did you know cooling your home makes up over half of your energy bill during the hottest months of the year? Before that time comes, it’s important to remember some conservation tips for your HVAC system.
- Have a certified HVAC technician perform annual maintenance on your system.
- Change your air filter every 30-60 days, or any time it’s dirty or clogged.
- Keep your thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher between the hottest time of the day — 2-7 p.m. — and turn it up when leaving the house.
- Use weatherstripping to seal air leaks around doors and windows, and caulk around gaps and holes in and outside your home.
- Keep all supply vents and interior doors open to ensure maximum air flow throughout the house.