More weather on the way Tuesday
Wind, rain could cause outages
PEC crews have restored power to most customers due to the impact of Winter Storm Mara, but more weather is on the way, which could lead to further issues.
According to the National Weather Service, winds up to 15-20 mph winds with gusts as high as 30 mph are currently being reported for the Johnson City area. Showers are likely on Tuesday with thunderstorms possible after 3 p.m. Forecasts are similar for areas including Dripping Springs, Austin, and other areas in the Hill Country. Rain chances will continue through Wednesday. Forecasts also project a cold snap at the end of the week.
Tree limbs are weak due to the stress from Winter Storm Mara and could break with high winds and rain. There could also be lingering broken branches in trees that haven’t fallen off. This could lead to further infrastructure damage and outages. To stay safe during power outages, use the following tips:
- Always report your outage. Here’s three quick and easy ways to report:
- Log in to SmartHub and report online. Download PEC’s SmartHub mobile app and have the power to to report and track outages at your fingertips 24/7.
- Text “OUTAGE” to 25022 with the number associated with you account or meter and saved within your PEC account.
- Call 888-883-3379.
- Follow restoration efforts with our outage map.
- Create an emergency preparedness kit for you and your family.
- Follow our food safety guide for recommendations on staying safe during and after significant outages.
Our staff prepares for this type of weather by:
- Closely monitoring our electric grid 24/7, working quickly with crews to restore power.
- Lineworkers train in various conditions to prepare for the worst during outages.
- PEC follows robust vegetation and system maintenance standards to prevent outages before they occur.