PEC and employees poured out their hearts and donated more than $284,000 through its United Charities Program to 240 charitable organizations. This year, employees raised $184,245, and the cooperative contributed another $100,000, which came from our generous members through Power of Change. Most of the charities selected are in Central Texas and include medical organizations, scholarship funds, programs for veterans, volunteer fire departments, and more.
“PEC’s charitable culture was more than evident this year, and these efforts will go a long way to help our communities thrive,” said Caroline Tinsley Porter, PEC’s external relations director. “In our United Charities Program, our employees lead the way in donations and choose where the money goes. It really shows how much our employees collectively care.”
PEC United Charities is a corporation owned and operated by the employees of PEC to help charitable organizations. Each participating employee donates 70% of their first hour of pay each month through automatic payroll deductions. At the end of the year, the total amount is spread out equally among all employees, who then choose the charities they’d like to support.
The top 10 recipients for 2023 were:
- Dell Children’s Foundation
- Jude’s Ranch for Children (SJRC)
- Cooper Ray DeSpain Memorial Scholarship Fund
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Central & South Texas, Inc.
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Canyon Lake Animal Shelter Society (CLASS)
- Hays County Food Bank, Inc.
- PAWS Shelter of Central Texas
- Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children
- Johnson City Volunteer Fire Department