PEC encourages members to prepare for storms
Purchase emergency supplies tax free this weekend, sign up for PEC emergency alerts
Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) is encouraging members to stay safe and prepared for storms this season. Building an emergency kit and signing up for PEC text alerts are two proactive steps members can take and this weekend is the perfect time to start. The 2023 Emergency Preparation Supplies Sales Tax Holiday runs from Saturday, April 22, through Monday, April 24, meaning many items are available to purchase tax free.
Eligible items include portable generators, smoke alarms, nonelectric can openers, coolers, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, phone chargers, flashlights, batteries, and more. Items may be purchased online, by phone, mail, or custom order. A full list of qualifying items and details are available online through the Texas Comptroller’s website.
PEC members can register to receive emergency text alerts by adding their mobile number to SmartHub or by calling us at 888-554-4732. Once registered, members with a PEC number on file can report an outage and receive outage updates by texting “outage” to “25022”. Learn how to update your contact information.
How members can stay safe and prepared
- Always report your outage. Here are the quick and easy ways to report:
- Log in to SmartHuband report online.
- Download PEC’s SmartHub mobile app and have the power to report and track outages at your fingertips 24/7.
- Call 888-883-3379.
- Text the word “outage”to 25022 from the number associated with your account (message and data rates may apply).
- Follow restoration efforts with our outage map.
- Create an emergency preparedness kit for you and your family.
- Follow our food safety guide for recommendations on staying safe during and after significant outages.
How PEC stays safe and prepared
- Our staff closely monitor our electric grid 24/7, working quickly with crews to restore power.
- Lineworkers train in various conditions to prepare for the worst during outages.
- PEC follows robust vegetation and system maintenance standards to prevent outages before they occur.
For more information and to stay connected to your cooperative, check pec.coop regularly and follow PEC on social media.