Amid continued growth, Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) remains committed to providing safe, reliable, and affordable power to more than a million Central Texans. In 2022, the cooperative continued to plan for future growth, upgraded infrastructure, and provided community support throughout the co-op’s service territory. Read a list of PEC’s highlights from 2022.
- The co-op reached more than 384,000 members and our agents processed more than 36,000 member applications.
- Added over 500 miles of line, nearly the distance from Johnson City to El Paso.
- Continued construction on PEC’s new Transmission Control Center, set to open in the spring of 2023.
- Launched new texting capabilities for PEC members to report outages.
- Inspected 15 distribution lines using the co-op’s unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV/drone) program.
- Restored or replaced nearly 700 poles and inspected more than 35,000 wood poles.
- Inspected and restored more than 2,500 pad-mounted transformers and pruned along nearly 400 miles of line.
- Upgraded 15 substations to keep up with increased energy and reliability needs.
- Proudly graduated 15 lineworkers from PEC’s apprenticeship program.
- Continued to serve and support communities in 2022 and provided more than $64,000 in grants to 14 nonprofits through PEC’s Power of Change Program, which allows members to round up their bills for charity.
- Awarded $100,000 in scholarships to graduating high school seniors and adults pursuing higher education.
- Employees participated in a virtual Read Across America event with 250 local educators.
- More than 400 elementary students participated in PEC’s Camp Save-a-Watt — a free, fun-filled summer of weekly activities focused on electrical safety, energy conservation, and nature exploration. PEC also held an in-person solar car derby and event where campers got to meet a lineworker.
- Through PEC United Charities, employees donated more than $236,000 to 242 nonprofit organizations.
- PEC employees also donated more than 550 toys and six bikes to benefit holiday toy drives across the co-op’s service area.
- PEC was proudly named a 2022 Top Workplace among large employers by the San Antonio Express-News and earned national recognition as a Top Workplace for Cultural Excellence by a Woman-Led Business.
- PEC apprentice and journeyworker teams represented the co-op among the best in the world during the International Lineman’s Rodeo Competition. PEC brought home 10 awards, including four first-place titles, for standout performances.
Heading into the new year, we will continue to stay focused on serving our growing membership with safe, reliable, and affordable power. Read more here.