Serving a community involves more than providing electricity. We help enrich the communities we serve by participating in programs such as the following:
- Community Grants provide eligible non-profit organizations located within the PEC service territory the opportunity to apply for grant funding. Look for a new application process coming soon.
- PEC Scholarship Program. Each year, PEC awards scholarships to graduating Hill Country seniors who are bound for colleges, universities and technical schools.
- Youth Tour Contest. The high school students who win this contest earn an expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C.
- Donations to support high school senior activities. During the 2015-16 school year, PEC made contributions to area high schools for their senior class activities, including Project Graduation. These donations help schools provide alcohol- and drug-free events for the senior class.
- Green Works. This initiative is PEC’s ongoing effort to increase environmental awareness and conservation.
- Speakers Bureau. As part of this free program, PEC representatives visit community groups to discuss topics from electrical safety to tree care to energy management.
- Our PEC United Charities program, which is funded through voluntary employee payroll deductions and corporate-matched funds, donates thousands of dollars each year to local charities.
- Partnering with Habitat for Humanity®. PEC provides free electricity to Habitat for Humanity homes within our service area during the construction phase, waives start-up fees and helps new homeowners with their first $100 of electric use.
- Annual contributions to community action programs in our service area. These programs lend assistance to eligible PEC members who are unable to pay their electric bills. In addition, credit amounts less than $5 from final bills are transferred to help support this cause unless a refund is requested.
- Donations of equipment and volunteer expertise for local community projects.
- Community assistance with grant writing, business retention and community development.
- Encouraging PEC employees to get involved in their communities.
- During the 2015-16 school year, PEC made donations to local livestock organizations supporting youth in our area.