Member Assistance Program

Each year, we earmark funds for member assistance and partner with area agencies that can help us match these contributions to the people who need them most.

If you would like to apply for assistance with your electric bill, please contact the participating agency in your county. Our Member Assistance Program provides a maximum of $300 per calendar year to qualifying PEC members. Please note that application for aid does not guarantee assistance.

Qualifications for assistance

  • You must be a PEC member, and your name must be on your account.
  • Distributions are limited to $300 per year and may be used for current account usage and billing only.
  • Accounts charged with meter tampering are ineligible for assistance.

Please note: If you do not qualify for aid through our Member Assistance Program or have reached your $300 limit for the year, your eligible county agency may still be able to help you access Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) funds. Additionally, some local nonprofit agencies provide utility assistance — scroll down for the full list.

PEC Member Assistance Program agencies

Texas Utility Help Program: Financial assistance available to qualified Texas homeowners and renters with low income. Apply online or call 855-566-2057.

Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs Energy Assistance Section/211 Texas: For all residents of Texas. Assistance available to low-income households only. Dial 211 or visit

Community Action Inc. of Central Texas: For qualifying residents of Blanco and Hays counties, call 512-878-2542.
For qualifying residents of Caldwell County, call 512-398-4420.

Community Council of South Central Texas: For qualifying residents of Comal County, call 830-625-6268.
For qualifying residents of Edwards, Gillespie, Guadalupe, Kendall, Kerr, Kinney, and Real counties, call 830-896-2124.

Concho Valley Community Action Agency: For qualifying residents of Kimble, Menard, Schleicher, and Sutton counties, call 325-653-1680.

Hill Country Community Action Agency (HCAA):

For qualifying residents of Bell, Lampasas, Llano, Mason, and San Saba counties. Please contact the agency that serves your area.

  • Belton Multi-Service Center
    For residents of Bell County, call 254-939-1170.
  • Lampasas Multi-Service Center
    For residents of Lampasas County, call 512-556-2550.
  • Llano Multi-Service Center
    For residents of Llano County, call 325-247-4662.
  • Mason Multi-Service Center
    For residents of Mason County, call 325-347-6242.
  • San Saba Multi-Service Center
    For residents of San Saba County, call 325-372-5833.

For qualifying residents of Williamson and Burnet counties, visit here. You can also contact the agency that serves your area.

Travis County Community Centers:

For qualifying residents of Travis County. Please contact the center that serves your area.

Additional agencies and resources

These area agencies may be able to provide additional help with your electric bills.

Baptist Community Center Mission: For residents of the Austin, Cedar Park, and Kyle areas, call 512-478-7243.

Blanco County Resource Center: For residents of Blanco County, call 830-868-0208.

Blanco Good Samaritan Center Inc: For residents of Blanco County, call 830-833-5269.

Community Resource Center: For residents of Burnet, Blanco, Llano, and Williamson Counties.

Marble Falls Helping Center: For residents within the ZIP code of 78654 in southern Burnet County, call 830-693-5689.

Mason Multi-Service Center: For residents of Mason County, call 325-347-6242.

Ministerial Alliance: For residents of Kimble County, call 325-446-2165 or 325-446-2908.

Southside Community Center: For residents of Hays County, call 512-392-6694.