Co-op offering free service to help members dispose of papers safely, securely
Pedernales Electric Cooperative (PEC) is hosting its annual Shred Day October 18, at the co-op’s Marble Falls office to help members protect their information and dispose of important papers safely and securely. PEC’s cybersecurity team is leading the event as part of Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
Members are encouraged to stop by the event from noon to 2 p.m. to drop off their personal papers that need to be disposed of securely. Each member can drop off up to five boxes of papers. The event is free and open to the public.
Accepted items include:
- White and colored paper
- Stapled or scotch-taped paper
- Envelopes with plastic windows
The following items will not be accepted:
- Hanging files
- Lithium batteries
- Plastic, trash
- Items with packing tape
- Styrofoam, and other materials.
- Below are additional tips PEC’s cybersecurity team recommends to help members stay safe online:
Use complex and unique passwords, including for PEC’s SmartHub.
- Confirm the identity of those claiming to be employees by asking to see their badge or by calling us at 888-554-4732.
- Keep computer and phone software up to date.
- Use two-factor authentication whenever possible for extra account security.
- Log into important accounts with saved or bookmarked links. Be aware of suspicious links in emails and text messages.
- PEC provides secure payment options to help protect members’ information.